Wednesday, 13 February 2013

As I suspected Upholstering is hard.  Seems likely that this is why it's costs hundreds of dollars to have someone do it right.

I bought this chair for $20 off of Kijiji. (steal!)  I kind of liked it as is but the chair was covered in vinyl and a bit grungy so I thought it might be an easy first attempt and upholstering.


I had to carefully remove the upholstery tacks so I could reuse them.  I pulled off the vinyl removing as many of the staples as possible.

Then I lay batting then hot glued the edges and trimmed.


The fabric wasn't my first choice and I stood in the fabric store for about 45 minutes pondering.  I originally wanted blue velvet but the only had this weird crushed velvet which I thought was potentially far to pimp-like.  I settled on this tweedy wool instead.

Cutting the Fabric to exactly the right size was a bit tricky.  As was getting the fabric tight enough to not show ripples.  I did my best.  I reused the upholstery tacks to finish it off.

I'm 80% pleased with the final product.  Maybe, just maybe I'll try it again someday.

Tuesday, 12 February 2013

Small Footprint

I've been wanting to do this for a while.  But having never tiled before I was daunted by my inexperience. I relied on dad to help out.  We were only tiling 5 square feet so the pressure was off.  The whole project only took about an hour.

I got the tile from a discount liquidator so it was sold by the sheet.  The marble cost $40 total. The grout and thin set cost another $40.




Turns out tiling is fairly easy, doing it perfectly is really hard.  Still happy with the end result, and will cherish the imperfections :)

Monday, 7 January 2013

Hard to take myself too seriously after watching the "She's Making Jewelry Now" song.  Luckily, I'm just doing it for fun.

A selection of the jewelry I've been making is available at the Drake General Store and online on my Etsy shop, Augusta Vintage.  Will be updating missing styles shortly.  So hold on if you want one.

Sure it's no dramatic entry back into the world of blogging.  Now with a toddler and being busy back at work, it's hard to get back into doing projects let alone brag, I mean blog about them.

Anyway, I saw this sweet mid-century night stand at salvation army the other day.  By the time I decided to go back for it, it was obviously sold.  In sadness I bought this uglier one for $10.  I was up for the challenge.



So, I totally thought the night stand was covered in a wood veneer   After giving it a good stand to prep for painting I discovered it was actually solid wood.  I used oil and polish to finish the drawers, new handles and a fresh coat of black.